18 September 1961: Some 150 Irish soldiers quartered near the town of Jadotville Congo were led away into captivity OTD 60 years ago.

Mowl

I remember in the border area there was a big red haired woman who married a soldier from the council houses. They thought they
could got for a drink one Sunday to a country pub with an open fire. A row broke out and there was IRA sympathisers drinkers dislike for the soldier who was
protecting the state on road checkpoints. He was assaulted but not badly injured.

The following day the wife was asked by a neighbour what happened. She replied: "They shoved Tommy up the chimney and kicked his arshe"

clarke-connolly

Founding Member
I remember in the border area there was a big red haired woman who married a soldier from the council houses. They thought they
could got for a drink one Sunday to a country pub with an open fire. A row broke out and there was IRA sympathisers drinkers dislike for the soldier who was
protecting the state on road checkpoints. He was assaulted but not badly injured.

The following day the wife was asked by a neighbour what happened. She replied: "They shoved Tommy up the chimney and kicked his arshe"
Some sort of Reverse Santa Claus ! !

Catalpa

SW Member
I will do my best, but you can write that from the safety of your armchair, It might be different if you were caught by the balubas!

The Balubas were enemies of the Katangese

They mistakenly though the Irish soldiers they attacked were white mercenaries that the Katangese had sent to punish them.

Mowl

The Balubas were enemies of the Katangese

They mistakenly though the Irish soldiers they attacked were white mercenaries that the Katangese had sent to punish them.
Very sad, that was the way back then. If it were now all the Irish soldiers would be black, so it would not happen

Mowl

The word Baluba passed into the Dublin lexicon. If someone went mad they were said to have "gone Balubas".
It is strange how so often words and names suit the situation. Hitler suited him a lot better than Michael. Michael suited Collins,

Baluba suited the image of the African natives encountering the Paddy.

There was said to be a crowd out there called the Whothefuckayas The stories goes that a few Irish soldiers were left behind in the jungle
and became more native than the natives themselves. An RTE film crew were sent out to see if there could be any evidence of these
fellow after long after the war. They had an adventurous presenter. They were were creeping through the long grass when they
encountered one single man dress and painted like a Zulu warrior. or Baluba. They stared each other for a while and then
the man asked

WHOTHEFUCKAREYOU? So the name stuck. The Whothefuckayas.

HouseCarl

SW Member
It may have been only natural, but soldiers are trained not to fraternise with friend or foe. They were trained to be outstanding men of stiff principles
and in breaking that rule they let down the Irish nation which was at that time a land of Saints and Scholars.

Such departure from strict military code of honour would have normally met with resentment among the local Baluba warrior males to see their women's
virtue compromised. However, and as luck of the Irish would have it. Paddy was not too particular. It was first come first served and the local chieftain's
mature warriors were actually relieved to get their less desirable overweigh bucket faced daughters off their hands.
Lol, that's gas :LOL:

Myles O'Reilly

SW Member
- On 13 September United Nations Indian troops under Brigadier Raja seized control of key points in Elizabethville and throughout the state. Conor Crusie O'Brien announced unwisely: "Katanga's secession is ended". Next day the Katangese gendarmerie counter-attacked. Heavy fighting followed in Elisabethville and elsewhere. Three days later the Irish garrison at Jadotville surrendered to the Katangese. Admittedly they were surrounded and their water supply had been cut off. But their position, although unpleasant, was not desperate; if their morale had been high they could have fought their way out and inflicted a crushing defeat on the Katangese and the mercenaries. The least that can be said is that this surrender was hardly in the spirit of Irish history. -

-
Anthony Mockler: The new Mercenaries

Eriugena

SW Member
- On 13 September United Nations Indian troops under Brigadier Raja seized control of key points in Elizabethville and throughout the state. Conor Crusie O'Brien announced unwisely: "Katanga's secession is ended". Next day the Katangese gendarmerie counter-attacked. Heavy fighting followed in Elisabethville and elsewhere. Three days later the Irish garrison at Jadotville surrendered to the Katangese. Admittedly they were surrounded and their water supply had been cut off. But their position, although unpleasant, was not desperate; if their morale had been high they could have fought their way out and inflicted a crushing defeat on the Katangese and the mercenaries. The least that can be said is that this surrender was hardly in the spirit of Irish history. -

-
Utter nonsense. They ran out of ammunition and were surrounded.

FF/FG/Lab/SF..stitchup

SW Member
Mark Strong did a poxy irish accent in the movie.

why did they cast a Nigel to play an irishman ? I guess that's the Hollywood thing these days. Alan Rickman as De Valera, Brad Pitt as a 'RA man with Harrison Ford.

And then we send them Liam Neeson to play a Wyoming cattle herder. Its all bonkers.

Myles O'Reilly

SW Member
It's to award individual medals, outcomes have nothing to do with that.
"This decision is now being challenged, along with other factors including how military medals are awarded."

We don't need any more lowering of standards in this society. Military medals are traditionally extremely hard to come by and so it should remain.

They're also talking about PTSD and 'moral injury'. I sympathise but our army has a history of taking cases against the State for this kind of thing.

Utter nonsense. They ran out of ammunition and were surrounded.
I neither agree nor disagree with Mockler. I suspect he means that they should have tried to break out and meet with Force Kane well before their ammo ran out.

Eriugena

SW Member
"This decision is now being challenged, along with other factors including how military medals are awarded."

We don't need any more lowering of standards in this society. Military medals are traditionally extremely hard to come by and so it should remain.
Cmdt. Quinlan recommended some of his men for the MMG and going on the accounts of their valour they fully deserve them.
They're also talking about PTSD and 'moral injury'. I sympathise but our army has a history of taking cases against the State for this kind of thing.
The army doesn't take cases, individual soldiers and veterans do.
I neither agree nor disagree with Mockler. I suspect he means that they should have tried to break out and meet with Force Kane well before their ammo ran out.
If that is what he meant, he would still be talking nonsense.

Myles O'Reilly

SW Member
The army doesn't take cases, individual soldiers and veterans do.
Its very difficult arguing anything with you. I was going to post 'soldiers' but posted 'army', either way presuming one would understand the point. I said I would make allowances but its still frustrating nevertheless.

Our soldiers have a history of grouping together and doing such and its embarrassing from a military point of view. We have a culture of that shyte in the DF and it needs to be eradicated. A couple of years ago when the west was flooded and they were called in to help they left the scene in Co Clare because it "wasn't safe". They fled from a puddle in the road leaving the residents to their fate.

Another recent fiasco was when they were bivouacing in the Phoenix park during the Pope's visit and they complained it was unsafe for them there too cos of littering or the cold or other such nonsense.

And you in another post complained that the Irish people have a dismissive attitude toward the army???

If that is what he meant, he would still be talking nonsense.
Glorious defeats litter the pages of Irish military history. We need winners not excuse makers.

Eriugena

SW Member
Its very difficult arguing anything with you. I was going to post 'soldiers' but posted 'army', either way presuming one would understand the point. I said I would make allowances but its still frustrating nevertheless.
You blame me for your imprecision?
Our soldiers have a history of grouping together and doing such and its embarrassing from a military point of view. We have a culture of that shyte in the DF and it needs to be eradicated. A couple of years ago when the west was flooded and they were called in to help they left the scene in Co Clare because it "wasn't safe". They fled from a puddle in the road leaving the residents to their fate.

Another recent fiasco was when they were bivouacing in the Phoenix park during the Pope's visit and they complained it was unsafe for them there too cos of littering or the cold or other such nonsense.

And you in another post complained that the Irish people have a dismissive attitude toward the army???
Yes, and you exemplify it.
Glorious defeats litter the pages of Irish military history. We need winners not excuse makers.
What we really need to get rid of is this insidious culture of begrudgery.

clarke-connolly

Founding Member

-
Did Conor Cruise O’Brien write that himself from a very safe place ? ? the Gob-Shite ! !

Latest Threads

Top Bottom