COVID-19 Economic destruction caused by the covid restrictions

gerhard dengler

Founding Member
Yesterday I was speaking to the proprietor of one Dublin City centre pub.
He owns the pub outright (inherited the business from his father) and he has no debt outstanding on his business.

We talked about how C19 affected his business.
Bottom line - he was getting €300.00pw (PUP) and his wife was getting €300.00pw (PUP), and he was also getting €400.00 from the Licenced Vinters Assoc.
All to remain closed.

His view?
He's not too pushed whether he opens or not on 19th July.
€1,100pw week is enough to survive on.

Hibernian

SW Member
He owns the pub outright (inherited the business from his father) and he has no debt outstanding on his business.

Bottom line - he was getting €300.00pw (PUP) and his wife was getting €300.00pw (PUP), and he was also getting €400.00 from the Licences Vinters Assoc.
All to remain closed.

His view?
He's probably lost more than that on the value of his premises, license and going concern value already...

SeektheFairLand

SW Member

Bottom line - he was getting €300.00pw (PUP) and his wife was getting €300.00pw (PUP), and he was also getting €400.00 from the Licences Vinters Assoc.
All to remain closed.

His view?
until his business goes kaput and they turn off the tap.

IrishJohn

SW Member

All to remain closed.

His view?

Given that the pubs have been closed for so long and people have got out of the habit of going to the pub it wouldn't surprise me if their business will only be 50% of what it was even if the lockdown ended tomorrow.

Mowl

All to remain closed.

His view?
Where are the licensed vintners getting the money?

Mowl

I claim that we need a solid no get out amendment to the constitution blocking any future government from authority to remove citizens human rights as has happened with a flue outbreak. No government should have that authority.

Mowl

Parts of the Irish economy are booming. Companies that supply fittings for buildings etc are refusing orders round here.

I wonder is it a North East thing?

D

Deleted member 5744

Near to where I live there are over 20 units, vacant due to shutdowns, completely shut or gutted out. That is what this pandemic has done.

Polyco

Founding Member
Rates were waived/deferred by Dublin City Council for 2020. But things like public liability insurance, utility bills, etc still apply.
The word to note there is deferred. I remember looking at all these 'pandemic' measures when they were first announced and there was not a lot that was being given away, it was more a case of delaying rather than waiving monies owed. I do hope all these publicans etc are putting some of this money away, because it ain't for free.

gerhard dengler

Founding Member
The word to note there is deferred. I remember looking at all these 'pandemic' measures when they were first announced and there was not a lot that was being given away, it was more a case of delay rather than waiving monies owed. I do hope all these publicans etc are putting some of this money away, because it ain't for free.

2020 rates were waived.
2021 rates?

Usually rates are paid in advance. I've seen nothing yet to say 2021 rates have been waived, they've been deferred but not waived.

The councils/corporations which impose and collect rates, are still clocking up huge costs throughout.

D

Deleted member 5744

There was six pubs in our town, now in the main town area, the main or most popular pub has gone, they couldn't afford another lockdown, the restaurant attached to the pub ( which was badly needed) is gone. Also no nightlife for the young, or an off-license ( which was attached to the main pub in the town). All that is left in the main area of the town is a greasy kebab shop and a fast food restaurant, and an indian, they will probably go too, because there are no drunk punters in that area - on the weekends. The five pubs, that are remaining are struggling badly as it is.

Mowl

Near to where I live there are over 20 units, vacant due to shutdowns, completely shut or gutted out. That is what this pandemic has done.
One pub in Kingscourt is gone. The Porter House where the bull came in. It was rented but its closed last week, He is gone.

It is impossible to get anyone to do work on houses. I have a house with as guttering needing a days work. Just a day's work.

I did everything but left the facia and guttering for a tradesman. 2 agreed and neither came over 3 months.

Latest Threads

Top Bottom