COVID-19 Food shortages coming?

2pacs

SW Member
Founding Member
SW Member

This is my biggest fear, the idea that as the economy grinds to a halt the food system grinds to a halt too.

If we had a real government they would be securing that the food industry in ireland was ready for mass international shortages.

FairstoodtheWind

SW Member
Asda in Portadown this evening at 6.00pm was well shook. prepared chicken, beef pretty much all gone. Many item labelled 3 per customer. Other lines, like pasta, tins of beans, spaghetti etc all gone. Tin soup pretty much all gone too. medicines gone too. A few boxes of eggs left. Some serious sounding guy making public announcements amount coronavirus. All of a sudden it was like being in one of disaster movies.

Still we left with what we came for. Milk, eggs, mushrooms, bananas, various jars of spice which the Mrs says will make future cooking more tolerable. oh yeah, and whiskey, gin and port.

BSA

SW Member
I'm more concerned about the Irish government's lackadaisical approach to the financial, read food and heat purchase power, of Irish working people..

An expected 300.000 Irish workers are expected to be jobless and without income in the next couple of weeks...!! This is extraordinary!! I'm amazed by how casually it is discussed on Pravda RTE... As if it is a thing of nothing.

Unlike the UK and France who've announced strong measures to protect workers our crowd are iffing and butting and asking people to post.. POST!!.. in forms.. And worse asking closed down small employers to pay wages... With What!!!

I do not trust that the Irish government would reimburse small employers if they borrowed money to pay even a portion of their wages..

What would the EU do... Eh??

Catalpa

SW Member
Asda in Portadown this evening at 6.00pm was well shook. prepared chicken, beef pretty much all gone. Many item labelled 3 per customer. Other lines, like pasta, tins of beans, spaghetti etc all gone. Tin soup pretty much all gone too. medicines gone too. A few boxes of eggs left. Some serious sounding guy making public announcements amount coronavirus. All of a sudden it was like being in one of disaster movies.

Still we left with what we came for. Milk, eggs, mushrooms, bananas, various jars of spice which the Mrs says will make future cooking more tolerable. oh yeah, and whiskey, gin and port.

Checked in Lidl & Dunnes Stores in Blanch SC today and stock levels were back up to normal - but I did notice one rather curious line of products missing

- baking powder!

However how long can this last?

If drivers and warehouse staff start dropping like flies

- then there will be food shortages!

I have stocked a bit on tins, beans, some porridge, tinned fruit, chocolate and plenty of soup. Got some packets of Ryvita too if the bread runs out

- oh and plenty of TP.

Got my prescriptions today that combined with what I have should keep me going for about 5 weeks or so.

The Centre at 11 AM this morning was the equivalent to what it would be like on a Sunday morning. Usually Friday at that time and the place is rapidly turning CHOCKA

PS I have a large bottle of whiskey beside me as I write - definitely a nightcap tonight as there is a cold wind howling away outside that door

- but I will have to preserve it well for the long haul ahead...🥴

2pacs

SW Member
Founding Member
SW Member
Friends and family in the UK are telling me food shortages are huge in the UK, empty shelves everywhere.

2pacs

SW Member
Founding Member
SW Member
We don't have the predictable dry spell of weather to make yields profitable commercially these days, and the harvesting window is small.
Once upon a time every farmer grew a bit for himself.
Green houses would solve that i would imagine, relying on food from elsewhere as the main source of nurishment forvany country will be their downfall.

Latest Threads

Top Bottom