COVID-19 Irish Pubs reopening discussion thread

PlunkettsGhost

SW Member
This fellow has been going round testing to see if pubs are collaborating with the regime in pushing a two tier society. He also comments on the Pint quality. Very interesting:

page61

Founding Member
SW Member
I would imagine the price pubs are charging has a lot to do with people staying away . Its extortionate .

Seán Mac Giolla Phádraig chose to go to the Temple Bar Hotel to mark the reopening of hospitality but was stunned by what he was charged.

He posted the receipt on Twitter of his order from Sunday of “seven pints and a few chicken wings” which added up to €75.00.

Sean said: “Spend, spend, spend, he says. You have no option but to spend, spend, spend, if you're out in Dublin.”

Some people expressed their concern about "rip-off Ireland".

One said: “€7.50 a pint, are they charging you for all the ones you didn’t drink over the last 18 months.",

gerhard dengler

Founding Member
I would imagine the price pubs are charging has a lot to do with people staying away . Its extortionate .

It certainly is extortionate.

Normally to stimulate demand, price is usually the main determinant to try to increase demand.
Lowering the price of alcohol served in a pub should be one way to increase custom/demand.

Throughout my lifetime I've never seen the price paid for alcohol served in a pub, fall

page61

Founding Member
SW Member
It certainly is extortionate.

Normally to stimulate demand, price is usually the main determinant to try to increase demand.
Lowering the price of alcohol served in a pub should be one way to increase custom/demand.

Throughout my lifetime I've never seen the price paid for alcohol served in a pub, fall
It is enough to put you off what could be a great institution

page61

Founding Member
SW Member
Just for a totally random comparison. . .
6 Ltr bottles of Xibeca (4.6%) is €7.80 = 12 pints 🤑
Not to mention sub standard food ..again robbery .

I was in Belfast recently and arranged to meet someone in the Europa hotel and he arrived with his family . They suggested eating and I assumed it would be quite expensive but in comparison to Dublin hotels ..it was good.... as was the food

gerhard dengler

Founding Member
It is enough to put you off what could be a great institution

Agreed.
And this is a real pity because the pub has been, and should be, an integral part of life.

I don't know if you remember 31/12/1999, millennium eve?
The blatant greed of many publicans then hit me. Many pubs (in Dublin) were charging punters a cover price for admission. You had to pay to enter a pub.
Crazy stuff

page61

Founding Member
SW Member
Agreed.
And this is a real pity because the pub has been, and should be, an integral part of life.

I don't know if you remember 31/12/1999, millennium eve?
The blatant greed of many publicans then hit me. Many pubs (in Dublin) were charging punters a cover price for admission. You had to pay to enter a pub.
Crazy stuff
I do remember it , I had a really bad cold and didn't go out , my girlfriend gave me some grief lol. It is like they cut off their nose to spite there face. Before the millennium I remember my local at the time used to send around plates of sausages to the customers. I thought it was a good move, It cost him practically nothing and because they were salty ,punters probably bought an extra pint etc.
It is very rare to go out for a pub meal and be impressed to the point of recommendation

Futility

Founding Member
Am just enjoying a glass of cold beer as a nightcap after dinner, it's very pleasant, easy to get a generous top up after hours and the conversation is good. Am glad not to be in the company of pro-vaxx strangers, especially where there's alcohol involved.
After today's run out in the public with a pushy masker who was wishing me to "f**k off and die". Certainly quite a foul provocation to avoid. Trouble ahead.🍻

IrishJohn

SW Member
239639455_5008129592536660_2718402813329063068_n.jpg

Follow_the_trawler

SW Member
Founding Member
I don't drink so I don't really care either way but all this nonsense about "They do a great Guinness in there" surely people don't believe that blarney anymore?

My experience of Irish pubs this century: crap loud music and wall to wall sports TV. I'm sure there are exceptions, I've barely darkened the door of one in 10 years but can only imagine they've got a lot worse. Its a nice idea that they're a lynchpin of the community but not sure it has any basis in reality anymore.

Futility

Founding Member
I don't drink so I don't really care either way but all this nonsense about "They do a great Guinness in there" surely people don't believe that blarney anymore?

My experience of Irish pubs this century: crap loud music and wall to wall sports TV. I'm sure there are exceptions, I've barely darkened the door of one in 10 years but can only imagine they've got a lot worse. Its a nice idea that they're a lynchpin of the community but not sure it has any basis in reality anymore.

Exactly, though Dunphys was a great spot years ago. Now one has a greater variety of venues all along the whole coastline and associated parks, just bring your own bottle, entertainment, and friends. Seating is the easy part.

The perfect buddy for all your outdoor activities such as travelling, festivals, beach trips, hanging out in the park and much more.
You only need two scoops of air and you’re ready for relaxation. No pumps needed!
Features:
You can sit on it, lay and relax or just lounge on it.

• Deflates in seconds
  • Easy to carry.
  • Lightweight and durable fabric.
  • Water and “wipe clean” stain resistant heavy duty Nylon.
  • Portable
  • Comfortable
  • Quick & easy setup
  • No Pump needed
  • Carry-bag included
  • Ideal on the beach, the swimming pool, take it with when you go fishing, camping, hiking and just about anywhere

Futility

Founding Member
6 litres would be 10 and a half pints Sir.

(Sorry for the OCD :()
Thanks for proper accuracy.
Damn, It felt too good to be true. Ah, but if one pours direct to the glass bottom then more head is created and so with a '2 fingered head' it would look like a pint.
A bottle usually gets 3 visits which makes it seem more than what it is.
A prosperous state of mind - the glass seems brighter, bigger, ever filled.
Great fun for €1.30 :giggle:

Latest Threads

Top Bottom