Tinker tailor....

His
Should see Smiley's People as well also 6 parter on u tube. Just watched it again recently, and it is every bit as good as Tinker..imho.....although it's a different Guillam.
Toby Esterhaze has a big part and is Brilliant and funny ..excellent actor..named Reston ..I think..

Watched a LeCarre interview...Don't know if he was Religious ..but there's always something a bit Catholic in the productions..
The actor who played TE was Bernard Hepton.

gerhard dengler

Founding Member
Watched a LeCarre interview...Don't know if he was Religious ..but there's always something a bit Catholic in the productions..

He did an interview with the BBC, and in it he talked about his life. He said that his upbringing was precarious due to his dad being a career criminal. Somehow his family accumulated fees to send him to public school, but he said he was literally a penniless pauper among rich entitled kids.

It was fascinating to listen to him explaining what his family did "to try to keep up appearances"
And this for me is what makes him a great writer because he can see behind the veneer and all of his books characters have a backstory which can be at odds with the initial impression.

I think LeCarre is one of the greatest writers there has been

mikeo

SW Member
He did an interview with the BBC, and in it he talked about his life. He said that his upbringing was precarious due to his dad being a career criminal. Somehow his family accumulated fees to send him to public school, but he said he was literally a penniless pauper among rich entitled kids.

It was fascinating to listen to him explaining what his family did "to try to keep up appearances"
And this for me is what makes him a great writer because he can see behind the veneer and all of his books characters have a backstory which can be at odds with the initial impression.

I think LeCarre is one of the greatest writers there has been

Yes...his books go way beyond Spy novels...which are fun ..escapist reads...which I used to like.
His best books are like real literature..I'd say...

The Field Marshal

Founding Member
SW Member
Yes...his books go way beyond Spy novels...which are fun ..escapist reads...which I used to like.
His best books are like real literature..I'd say...
Must be an acquired taste.
I tried reading Tinker tailor years ago but never got past the first few pages for some forgotten reason.
The enthusiasm here has rekindled my interest.

Latest Threads

Top Bottom